- Do you feel you don’t have enough time for yourself, doing what you want to do?
- Do you often find yourself getting to the end of the week and wondering where all the time went?
- Do you frequently work through your lunch break, or grab a sandwich while skimming emails?
- Do you rarely leave the office on time at the end of the day?
- Do you take work home with you on a regular basis?
- Is your mind always buzzing? Do you find it difficult to switch off?
- Do you panic if you leave your phone at home/work and are without it for even short periods of time?
- Do you think you could be doing something different if only you had more time to think about it?
- Do you think life is passing by too quickly?
- Do you sometimes feel really lacking in confidence? Does it hold you back from doing new things?
- Do you have a feeling that there is something better out there but don’t know what the ‘something’ is?
If you answered yes to more than 5 of those questions it’s probably time time for you to stop and take stock. At worst you are heading for burn out and at best you may be pedalling furiously but not going in the best direction for you.
I didn’t actually make up those questions; they are all a variation of the reasons given to me by women for coming on my RenewYou day. I’ve been there too. For a period of my life I was so busy being busy that I didn’t have time to listen to the intermittent nagging voice in my head saying ‘Is this it?’
Sometimes we’re just so taken up with the grind of the day job, giving our all at work and home that we don’t take time to stand still and really think about what it is we’re doing. We are buffetted by events and react, rather than taking control. Once I took some serious time out to consider what it was I really wanted it helped me set about taking back control; in fact, over the course of a year I totally changed my life.
I know sometimes it can feel totally overwhelming, and to be honest, quite scary. I was scared. But I was excited and enthused too! And, as soon as I had begun following my plan, directing my life, my energy levels went up, my health improved, and I had more time to do the things that were important to me. I just needed to give myself some time and space to work out what I really wanted.
It’s why, when I designed RenewYou, I made sure that there was plenty of thinking and reflecting time built into the day, and why I always choose a venue with some nice outdoor space. It’s great to spend some time walking and thinking. Deep inside we usually know our answers, and the thought provoking exercises, support and encouragement of a day spent renewing yourself helps you find them.
So, if you ticked more than 5, I urge you to take a bit of time to yourself and think about how you are spending your precious life. I still do it every year – make time for my own personal development and run a mini audit on myself. Whether you choose a course, a book, a coach, or simply find time to reflect yourself, make sure you do it! And do it soon!
Photo Credit: Watford
Posted on April 7th, 2011 by Jane